Chicago Divorce and Marital Property Attorneys
Divorce and Property Division Lawyers Serving Aurora and Waukegan
Katz Law Office, Ltd. is a compassionate family law firm handling matters of divorce and property division for our clients throughout the Chicago metropolitan area. We are dedicated to helping people endure the divorce process in a stable, resourceful manner. Our attorneys will not only handle the legal aspects of your case, but will provide encouragement and care throughout the journey. We take pride in offering professional, high-quality, comprehensive support to families impacted by divorce at a reasonable rate. We will align our approach with your goals and the best interests of your family. No one wins in divorce, but we can help you rise to meet and face its inherent challenges.
Caring Support for Divorce Issues in Chicago, Illinois
We offer experienced negotiation and litigation support, as well as mediation as a resolution alternative. No matter your situation, we will work to provide the resources you need and a caring approach to walk you through the process. We handle divorce issues such as alimony/spousal support, division of retirement, and child issues. We can point you to resources such as the United States Department of Health and Human Services (USDHHS) Interstate Support, the Illinois Putative Father Registry, and other helpful resources that may relate to your divorce matter. When you retain our services, you can expect to receive:
- Detailed, simplified explanations of the steps in the divorce process;
- Friendly, personalized service to help guide your decisions;
- Comprehensive resources to address each aspect of your divorce;
- Honest feedback about your situation; and
- Aggressive advocacy to support your goals and concerns.
Explain what you want us to fight for and we will lock in on the target and go after the results you desire. Ultimately, we want to deliver favorable solutions that circumvent negative outcomes and keep your best interests at heart.
Division of Property in a Divorce
The Illinois Marriage and Dissolution of Marriage Act governs the legal aspects of divorce in the state. According to the Act, marital property is all property acquired by either spouse after marriage with the following exceptions:
- Inherited or gifted property;
- Property received in exchange for property owned by a party prior to marriage;
- Property received by a spouse after legal separation is declared;
- Property excluded in a prenuptial agreement;
- Judgment of property awarded to one party from another;
- Property acquired prior to marriage (not commingling with marital property);
- Increase in property value for property acquired by any of the preceding conditions;
- Income from property that is not attributable to the personal effort of a spouse
We can answer questions about marital property and help you make well-informed decisions regarding what you are seeking in a financial settlement. We will help you to understand the tax implications and fiscal responsibility associated with property awards and guide you toward the best possible scenario to suit the changes in your life.
Domestic Violence and Divorce
If domestic violence is a factor in your divorce, we have experience dealing with domestic and international matters that pertain to violence and abuse against a spouse. We can advise on Violence Against Women Act (VAWA) violations and assist with orders of protection, restraining orders, and obtaining U visas and T visas.
Please contact our Chicago family law attorneys if you need assistance with filing for and responding to a request for divorce, or assistance with dividing your marital property and assets. Please call (773) 847-8982 to set up a free, initial consultation to discuss your divorce matter. We look forward to meeting with you at the Chicago metro area office that is most convenient for you. We serve clients throughout Cook County, Lake County, Kendall County, Kane County, DuPage County, and Will County. Se habla Español.